Executive Director of Community Legal Services of Prince George’s County
The mission of CLS is to educate, represent and empower low-income members of the Prince George’s County Community regarding civil legal matters. Reporting and responsible to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director (ED) is an "at will" employee who will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for the staff, attorneys, programs, as well as the expansion and execution of the non-profit mission of CLS. S/he will develop deep knowledge of the organization’s funding mechanisms, programs, operations and strategic plans.
- Manages and evaluates all Community Legal Services programs.
- Responsible for staffing and managing CLS personnel and for all office procedures.
- Makes final decisions about office equipment and procedures.
- Oversees the finances of CLS. Develops the annual budget, reviews of all financial reports, signs all checks, maintains contact with
the Treasurer, Financial Committee, and independent auditor.
- Evaluates programs, outreach efforts and relations with other community service providers and elected officials for continuing effectiveness
and efficiency in serving the public.
- Initiates new programs and outreach efforts in coordination with Board directives.
- Primary liaison with national, state, and local legal and social service providers, to maximize the effectiveness of CLS programs.
- Partners with local and state organizations in the delivery of services.
- Responsible for all office procedures.
- Remains current on best practices concerning the successful delivery of legal services, sharing these practices with the Board and staff.
- Hears appeals of personnel decisions regarding potential client eligibility, and regarding disputes between clients and lawyers.
Refers any continued disputes to Board President.
- Researches, writes, and submits all grant proposals and reports.
- Keeps current on effective fundraising tools for non-profits, and networks with other non-profits to maximize fundraising efforts.
- In conjunction with Board of Directors, conducts events to raise needed funds. Plans, executes and evaluates events, with the assistance of
office staff and Board members.
Strategic Vision & Leadership:
- Collaborate with the Board to refine and implement the strategic plan while ensuring that the budget, staff and priorities are aligned with
the nonprofit mission of CLS
- Provide inspirational leadership and direction to all CLS staff and attorneys, and ensure the continued development and management of
a professional and efficient organization
- Cultivate a strong and transparent working relationship with the Board and ensure open communication about the measurement of
financial, programmatic, and impact performance against planned milestones and goals.
- Procure grants, donations and funds that permit CLS to make continuous progress toward the achievement of its mission. Ensure that
those funds are accounted for and allocated properly
- Formulate and execute comprehensive marketing, branding and development strategies that will enhance revenue from major donors,
foundations, government agencies and businesses
Strengthening Infrastructure and Operations:
- Ensure the delivery of high quality legal services.
- Facilitate collaboration and strengthen internal communications with staff; create and promote a positive, multicultural work environment
that supports excellent work product and operational methods
- Promote the delivery of legal assistance programs through new and existing programs, offices and partnerships
- Increase efficiencies and consistency throughout the organization by developing and implementing a powerful and effective website access
to CLS services and programs.